Sometimes price modifiers and additional images are not enough to differentiate your products. Product variations help you assign different images for every option in your Store, as well as track the stock of options like sizes.
Each possible set of options for a particular product is a variation for that product.
For example, a t-shirt that comes in two sizes (small and medium), and two colors (yellow and gray) has four variations:
Variations help organize your Store into separate nested products. With the Product Variations feature, you can:
- upload separate images to each of the variants (frequently used for apparel and shoes)
- automatically adjust prices with customer selections
- track inventory with unique SKUs to prevent overselling
- adjust weight to get more precise shipping rates at checkout
To add a new product:
- Go to the Store Menu, click Catalog, and then click Products.
- Click + Add new product.
To create options for a product:
- Open the page to edit the product.
- Click the Options tab, and create options by clicking Add new option. For example, add two options: size and color.
- Use the drop-down menu and radio button options to create variations.
- To add the selection values to every option, click Add new selection. In our example, we add Small and Medium for the Size option, and Yellow and Gray for the Color option.
The quickest way to create all possible variations is through the Mobile App for iOS. Open the Mobile App, click Variations, and then click Generate All Variations.
- On the product page, click the Variations tab.
- Click + New Variation.
- Select the color and size, in our example.
- Set the SKU, Price, and Weight for the variation.
- Set the stock of the product variation. Click Manage, set the number in stock, and the quantity for the low stock notifications.
- Click OK.
- Repeat steps for all necessary variations.
- Set the stock of the base product to Unlimited.
- Click Save.
Customers can now choose from options and see corresponding pictures while browsing. This is how customers shop variations look: